With a few ingredients, whip up tasty and delicious fried mozzarella sticks that are coated in delicious bacon and breadcrumbs and packed with savory cheese.
What you will need:
- 1 c. panko bread crumbs
- 1 c. bacon bits
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 c. flour
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 4 c. vegetable oil
- Combine panko bread crumbs, bacon bits, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Blend until finely ground.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour with buttermilk and egg, and whisk until smooth.
- Cut each of the 12 string cheese sticks in half.
- Heat vegetable oil to 375°F.
- Dip each of the cheese sticks into the flour and buttermilk mixture, using tongs to turn and thoroughly cover all sides. Then, use the tongs to coat each of the battered cheese sticks with the breadcrumbs and bacon bits mixture.
- Carefully use the tongs to drop each of the cheese sticks into the vegetable oil, and fry for 20 to 30 seconds (or until golden brown).
- Place the fried cheese sticks on a paper towel-lined surface to cool, then enjoy your cheesy snack with a side of marinara sauce or ranch dressing!