Red and blue cake, layered with white frosting is a perfectly patriotic take on a cupcake. Try this tasty 4th of July recipe today!
Patriotic Cake Cups
What you will need:
- 1 white cake mix (prepared according to the directions on the box)
- Red and blue food coloring
- Red and blue sprinkles
- 1 tub of white frosting
- 2 pint-size Mason jars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray two cake pans with nonstick spray.
- Prepare the cake batter according to the package. Divide the batter into two mixing bowls.
- Add a few drops of red coloring to one of the mixing bowls and a few drops of blue coloring to the other bowl. Use a whisk to mix. Once the color has been mixed, pour each batter into a cake pan.
- Bake the cakes for 20-25 minutes. Allow cakes to completely cool once they are done cooking.
- Once the cakes have cooled, remove them from their pans. Use the top of a glass jar (or a circular cookie cutter) to cut out even circles of cake. If your circles are thicker than 3/4-inch, cut them in half with a knife.
- Place a layer of cake into a jar and top with frosting. Place a second, different color layer of cake into the jar and top with frosting, Alternate until your jar is filled or you end on frosting without overfilling the jar. Add decorative sprinkles and celebrate!