Envelope, please! No matter which movie wins Best Picture, you’ll be a shoo-in for Best Host when you follow our simple — and budget-friendly — guide to throwing a spectacular viewing party that will have you celebrating alongside Hollywood’s finest. With A-list touches like a themed menu and party games, your guests will be begging for a sequel.
Set the Scene
It doesn’t take a million bucks to host a soirée that looks like one. The key is to make sure everything dazzles. Set your table with shimmering golds and sparkling silvers.
Only have standard white dishes? No problem! Dress your table with disposable champagne flutes, and fill them with sparking apple cider.
Create a Themed Menu
Even the most exclusive of awards show parties has been known to serve up a good burger. Create a menu of Hollywood-themed mini bites, and a menu board to go with it for added flair. With a little something for everyone, your guests will give your fancy finger foods two thumbs up.
- Better-than-Movie Popcorn — Add drama to plain popcorn by sprinkling popped kernels with pickling spices such as coriander seeds and dill weed.
- Nominee Nachos — Create bite-sized nachos by separating chips on a baking sheet and covering each with a dollop of refried beans, white cheddar cheese, and a pickled jalapeño. Bake and serve.
- Chicken Wings That Sing — Be creative. Toss them with lemon juice and rosemary and bake!
- Gourmet Burger Bites — Butter and toast your bread, then serve topped with arugula, a drizzle of truffle oil, and a soft white cheese. Your burger bites will be the main attraction.
- The Hollywood Kiss — Snickerdoodles accented with a milk chocolate kiss.
Print out a ballot for Best Picture, Actress or Actor, and other song or film nominations, and have guests mark their picks — before the show starts, of course! It’s a great way to get guests talking. The internet is a treasure-trove of free, printable ballots (and themed invitations, too).
For example, Evite offers free “best dressed” bingo cards you can easily print and cut. While you’re watching, have guests mark a square that matches something seen on the red carpet. You can even download and print awards to give the winners in each category.