The holiday season is upon us, which means holiday parties! For a simple, make-ahead holiday appetizer that can easily travel with you as you go holiday party-hopping, look no further than buttery, flaky mini cranberry brie turnovers.
These turnovers can be baked in advance and served room temperature or reheated in the microwave or oven at your destination. And don’t be intimidated by the brie — it might sound fancy, but it’s easy to work with and tastes great with the berries.
What you will need:
- 1 package frozen pre-rolled pastry dough, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- Wax paper
- Circular pastry or cookie cutter
- 1 large egg
- Pastry brush
- ½ lb. brie cheese
- 1 c. cranberry sauce (canned or homemade)
- Baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Unfold the thawed pastry dough on a sheet of wax paper. With a 1½- to 2-inch-round cookie or pastry cutter, cut circles out of the pastry dough.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the surface of each pastry.
- Remove the rind from the cheese using a potato peeler (if you have one handy) or a sharp knife. The colder your brie is, the easier it is to remove. Then cut the cheese into ½-inch-wide cubes. Place a cube of cheese in the center of half of your pastry circles. Top the brie with a small dollop of cranberry sauce.
- Gently position the remaining pastry rounds on top of the brie and cranberry-filled pastry circles, brushed egg side down. Pinch the ends closed using your fingers or a fork. It’s okay if your edges look differently than below, just as long as the two pastry rounds hold together.
- Prick the center of each pastry with a fork to allow the air to escape while baking. Brush the tops lightly with egg.
- Carefully transfer the pastries from the wax paper to a baking sheet. (Do not bake on the wax paper.) Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Remove the turnovers from the oven and allow them to cool before serving.
Note: If you’re taking your appetizer to a party, place the mini turnovers on a plate and cover them with foil or plastic wrap. To reheat once you’re at your party, just microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds or put them into a warm oven for a few minutes.