How Often to Replace Couch
A small stain here, a slight odor there… is your couch worse for the wear? Sure, cleaning it is a great option, but so is replacing it. After all, the sofa is where your loved ones gather for movies, games, and fun, so it’s important to have the best one possible for your household! Here’s how to tell if it’s time to replace your couch and some tips for making your next one last longer.
What is the lifespan of a couch?
In general, you can expect a new fabric sofa to last about seven to 15 years, while quality leather couches can last up to three times as long. These numbers can vary depending on the quality of construction and materials and how well you care for the furniture.
But sometimes, a sofa simply overstays its welcome. Maybe you’ve outgrown the design style of your current one or need a larger option to accommodate your new space. Many factors affect the lifespan of a couch, but simply outgrowing it is as good a reason as any.
How can you extend the life of a couch?
Whether you paid a few hundred dollars or a few thousand for your current sofa, there are a couple of ways you can stretch the life of any couch. Here are some guidelines for squeezing more quality years out of your current sofa.
- Clean regularly: Cleaning your couch is crucial to extending its life. Vacuum your sofa cushions weekly to prevent dust, dirt, and dead skin cells from embedding themselves in the fabric and causing discoloration.
- Protect the fabric: When you have a couch as beautiful as the Acieona Sectional, you want to protect it. A simple no pet/no food policy can prevent your couch from unnecessary wear and tear. Using a fabric protector can also block spills you can’t head off with the no pet or food rule.
- Flip those cushions: You probably have your favorite spot, but by flipping and fluffing the cushions, you can ensure they wear evenly and don’t get lumpy or start sinking.
- Pick a timeless style: If you’re someone who prioritizes style but also prizes a healthy bank balance, pick a couch with a timeless color and design. A classic option can be accessorized to match current trends, such as the Bilgray Sectional.
When is it time to replace your couch?
While the tips above can help keep your couch in tip-top shape for years to come, there will come a day when no amount of TLC can save your beloved sofa. But how do you know it’s time to invest in a new one?
- Creaking and cracking: If your couch squeaks, pops, and creaks, there may be structural damage. The wooden joints or metal springs may be on their way out. In which case, you may need to start shopping for a new one.
- The smell is unbearable: When vacuuming with baking powder or using vinegar sprays is no longer enough to make your couch smell fresh or inviting, it’s probably time for a new sofa.
- It looks terrible: Some stains are inevitable, but there comes a point when the upholstery is so heavily stained, frayed, or faded that no amount of spot cleaning can save it.
- It’s no longer comfortable: If the lumbar support is shot and the cushions are so flat that you get up from the couch feeling less relaxed than when you sat down, it may be time to consider a new sofa. After all, a couch’s entire reason for being is to provide a cozy and comfortable place to relax after a long day.
A couch is a big purchase for most people, and it should be! But price and delivery are no longer obstacles when you shop at Rent-A-Center. Shop sofas with us, and you’ll find comfy, oversized couches, flexible payments, and free, same-day delivery* that takes the hassle out of replacing your couch. Shop online or at a Rent-A-Center near you today!