There’s an abundance of zucchini this time of year. (It’s literally everywhere!) Take advantage of the veggie with a healthy, hearty zucchini and squash recipe.
What you will need:
- 3-4 lg. zucchini or yellow squash, about 12 in. long
- 2 tsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil (maybe more, depending on your pan)
- 1/2 c. finely chopped onion
- 1 c. green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (10 percent fat or less)
- 12 oz. ground turkey (10 percent fat or less)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 c. tomato-basil marinara sauce
- 2 c. low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350°. Chop up the onion and green pepper. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a nonstick pan. Sauté onion and pepper for 3 to 4 minutes, until they start to soften. Add 2 tbsp. garlic and sauté about 1 minute more (be careful not to brown the garlic). Remove the mixture from the pan to a bowl.
- Add 2 tsp. more olive oil to the pan. Add the ground beef and ground turkey and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until the meat is thoroughly browned. Tilt the pan and remove any fat that accumulates with a spoon. Stir the veggie mixture into the meat.
- Add the marinara sauce to the pan and simmer until the mixture thickens and the liquid evaporates (about 10 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- While the meat cools, cut the zucchini and squash into 2-inch thick slices (discard the ends). Use a sharp spoon or melon baller to hollow out the center of each slice, leaving about 1/4 inch of squash on the sides and creating a cup.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and place the zucchini and squash cups on the sheet, open ends up. Stir 1½ cups grated cheese into the meat, then spoon the meat-cheese mixture into cups. Press it down into the cups, then mound it up a little over the top of the vegetable.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the tops of the cups. Return the cups to the oven and bake another 10 to 15 minutes, until the cups are slightly soft when pierced with a fork and cheese is melty and lightly browned. Serve hot.